19th Century Watercolour of The Bedford Chapel
Showing The Bedford Chapel, Chenies, Buckinghamshire and possibly an interior view of Chenies Manor. Presented in a bespoke water-gilt frame with ivory mount.
Caroline Vernon, née Fazakerley (fl.1829-1868) was a prolific ammeture 19th Century artist. She largely painted the country houses where she stayed as a guest.
The Bedford Chapel.
This funerary chapel, built for the Russell earls of Bedford, contains a great sequence of tombs described by Pevsner as the richest collection of funerary monuments in any parish church in England. The earliest six are tomb chests with effigies: John Russell, 1st Earl of Bedford (d.1555) and his wife (d.1559); Lady Bridget (d.1600); Ann, Countess of Warwick (d.1604); Elizabeth, Lady Russell (d.1611); Lady Frances Bourchier (d.1612); and the 2nd Earl of Bedford (d.1565). Then comes Lady Chandos (d.1623), a semi-reclining figure on a base, and the 4th Earl (d.1641) and his wife (d.1653) also a tomb chest with effigies. The later, and more varied, monuments are those of the 5th Earl and 1st Duke of Bedford (1700); the 2nd Duke and Duchess (made in 1769, designed by Sir William Chambers); Georgiana (d.1858, by Richard Westmacott the Younger); the 1st Earl Russell (d.1878); Odo, Baron Ampthill (d.1884, by Boehm); 9th Earl (d.1891, by G E Fox); Lord Arthur Russell (d.1892, by Alfred Gilbert). Also in the chapel is a 14th century table tomb with effigies of a member of the Cheyne family and his wife.